The Museum was officially opened in 1974 thanks to the generous gift donated to the Regole of Ampezzo by Mrs Rosa Braun, the widow of Mario Rimoldi, a well known collector in Cortina d'Ampezzo.
Famous artists like De Pisis, De Chirico, Sironi, Campigli and Music - habitual guests of the Ampezzo valley- started a fruitful friendship with the art collector Mario Rimoldi.
In 1941, when the first Exhibition of Contemporary Art Collections opened in Cortina, the Mario Rimoldi collection was already well delineated. It featured splendid paintings by de Pisis, Morandi, Semeghini, Rosai, Campigli, Sironi, Garbari, Severini, Tosi and Guidi.
After World War II, the collection grew with the experimental works of the artists who were already represented by their figurative art works. The art collector was interested in the artists of the figurative school from the Veneto area like Cadorin, Cesetti, Saetti, Tomea and Depero, and also in the new artistic movements that were being created. The collection features La Zolfara by Guttuso and works by the leading artists of the new experimentation like Corpora, Crippa, Dova, Morlotti, Music, Santomaso, Vedova. The collector discovers also foreign artists like Kokoschka, Leger, Villon, Zadkine, and widens his interests with the protagonists of the neo-avantgarde and the abstractionism of the Fifties.
The Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities has recognized the cultural interest of the collection which spans over a period of fife years and is noted as one of the most significant collections of the 20th century Italian art.; for the presence of masterpieces by painters like Savinio, Garbari, Depero, Guttuso and of a few works which are fundamental in the study of de Pisis, Sironi, De Chirico, Semeghini, Tomea, Tosi, Campigli.
The permanent exhibition features the Chiesa di Cortina and the Soldatino francese by de Pisis, the Bagnanti by Carena, the Squero di San Travaso by Semeghini, the Zolfara by Guttuso, the San Sebastiano by Garbari, the Ile des charmesby Savinio and the Concerto by Campigli.